|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Urinary tract infection
- Bladder tear or damage
- Reaction to the anesthesia
- Damage to internal tissue or structures
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Physical exam, blood and urine tests, and imaging tests
- Talk with you about the type of anesthesia that will be used and the potential risks
- Aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs
- Blood thinners, like warfarin (Coumadin)
- Clopidogrel (Plavix)
- Arrange for a ride home from the hospital.
- If instructed by your doctor, do not eat or drink for eight hours before the procedure.
Description of Procedure
Immediately After Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
- Monitor you while you recover from the anesthesia and/or sedation
- Remove any IV needles and the catheter
- Help you to eat and move around again
- Give you pain medicine
- Take medicines as directed to reduce pain and the chance of infection.
- Avoid difficult activity and heavy lifting.
- Drink plenty of fluids (eg, 8-10 glasses per day).
- Do not drive or have sex until your doctor says it is safe to do so.
- Be sure to follow your doctor’s instructions.
Call Your Doctor
- Increasing pressure or pain while passing urine
- Pain in the back or abdomen
- Not able to urinate
- Changes in frequency, odor, appearance, or volume of urine
- Signs of infection, including fever or chills
- Blood or blood clots in urine after the first few days
- Painful urination or a burning sensation after the first few days
- Leaking urine
American Urological Association Foundation http://www.urologyhealth.org/
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases http://www2.niddk.nih.gov/
Canadian Urological Association http://www.cua.org/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Electrohydraulic lithotripsy. EBSCO Health Library website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/healthLibrary/ . Updated October 19, 2012. Accessed November 2, 2012.
Ho KL, Segura J. Lower Urinary Tract Calculi: Cystolitholapaxy. In: Wein AJ, ed. Campbell-Walsh Urology . 9th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 84.
- Reviewer: Adrienne Carmack, MD
- Review Date: 10/2012 -
- Update Date: 10/31/2012 -