Reasons for Test
- Changes in the bladder wall
- Changes in kidney size or structure
- Kidney stone, cyst, mass, or other obstruction in the kidney
- Stones in the urinary tract
- Changes in the ureters
- Kidneys before doing a renal biopsy (removal of tissue from the kidney for exam)
- Blood flow to the kidneys (a Doppler ultrasound is used)
|Urinary System with Stones|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
What to Expect
Prior to Test
- Your doctor may do a physical exam.
- You must have a full bladder for the test. Do not empty your bladder until after the ultrasound.
Description of Test
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
National Institutes of Health http://www.nih.gov
National Kidney Foundation http://www.kidney.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
The Kidney Foundation of Canada http://www.kidney.ab.ca
Imaging of the urinary tract. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse website. Available at: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/imagingut/index.aspx. Published November 2006. Accessed October 20, 2009.
- Reviewer: Adrienne Carmack, MD
- Review Date: 09/2012 -
- Update Date: 00/92/2012 -